RAJIV K LUTHRA
Founder & Managing Partner
In 1990, Rajiv Luthra founded Luthra & Luthra Law Offices as a single lawyer firm, which soon grew to be one of the largest firms in India, with a team of over 300 Counsel and over 75 Partners.
Over the last three decades, (and this, with the Firm’s success aside), Mr. Luthra has been highly recognized, globally, and is the recipient of several and various accolades, including the honor of being presented by the country’s Hon’ble Prime Minister and Hon’ble Chief Justice.
He has been identified as “one of the most highly acclaimed legal experts” in the Asia-Pacific region in the field of Capital Markets & Corporate Finance by the 2007 Asia Law Leading Lawyers. Lawyer.com has him listed among its top 40 people making the biggest waves outside the UK and Asia Business Legal featured him in “ALB’s Hot 100” in recognition for his contribution to the Capital Markets’ sector.
His expertise range from complex commercial transactions to corporate and civil law issues. He has led various privatization, disinvestment and restructuring assignments and has spearheaded multiple historic mergers and acquisitions in Indian corporate history.
Mr. Rajiv Luthra takes immense pride in serving his Country. He has enjoyed the privilege of being appointed by the Government of India to various High Level Committees such as, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Securities and Exchange Board of India, the Advisory Board to the Competition Commission of India (to assist in the framing of general rules and regulations under the Competition Act, 2002), to name a few. Additionally, the Competition Commission of India has also appointed him to the Competition Advocacy Steering Committee – a most prestigious honor and mark of trust.
Mr. Rajiv Luthra attributes his successes to his professionalism and his reliance on equity and justice as cornerstones of his practice.
He is the recipient of numerous accolades including:
- ‘Maret Leading Individual: Banking & Finance and Corporate’ – IFLR1000 2021
- ‘Managing Partners of the Year’ – ALB India Law Awards 2020
- ‘Managing Partners of the Year’ – LegalEra India Awards 2020
- ‘Leader in Project Finance’ – Who’s Who Legal Rankings 2020
- National Law Day Award’ by the Prime Minister of India for “… his singular contribution to the practice of corporate and commercial law in India and for being one of the country’s earliest pioneers in international transaction lawyering.”
- ‘The Most Promising Business Leader of Asia’ – Economic Times Asian Business Leaders Conclave 2016 – Kuala Lumpur.
- ‘International Jurists Award’ by the Attorney-General and Chief Justice of the United Kingdom, for “…his unique contribution in the field of
cross-border transactions and banking & finance law in India”.
- Lifetime Achievement Award” for “… his accomplishments & achievements in the International M&A sector” – 4th Annual International M&A Advisor Awards, New York.
- Inducted in the M&A Hall of Fame, New York.
- Honored as a “Legend in Indian Corporate Law” and as an “Ace Legal Eagle for Indian corporate law, specializing in tax, regulatory & compliance laws” – Asian Business Leadership Forum Excellence Awards, Dubai.
- ‘Managing Partner of the Year’ – IDEX Legal Awards 2016.
- The Lawyer.com has included Rajiv amongst its top 40 ‘to have been making waves outside the UK’; and has ranked him amongst ALB’s Hot 100 Lawyers in recognition for his contribution to various sectors. While, India Business Law
Journal has ranked him in ‘The A-List: India’s Top 100 Lawyers 2016’.
- He has been recognized as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ in the areas of Corporate Law, Capital Markets, Mergers & Acquisitions and Project Finance by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, IFLR 1000, AsiaLaw and Asia Pacific Legal 500.
The Firm was recognized as the “2009 No.1 law firm in the world in the realm of Project Finance by Dealogic”.
Rajiv and his Firm had conceived, advised on & presented to the Union Human Resources Development, Government of India, the amendment to the Copyright Act, 1957; on the issue of equal share of royalties to authors & composers, arising from the exploitation of music in India. Appeared and gave evidence before the Standing Committee of the Parliament tasked with reviewing the proposed amendments. The proposed Amendments were passed unanimously by both the Houses of Parliament.
He advises the Planning Commission of India, the Government of India and government-owned corporations including the merger of Air India and Indian Airlines. Additionally, he also advises multinationals such as, ArcelorMittal, AT&T, Bank of America, Emaar, ExxonMobil, Goldman Sachs, Monsanto,
MYLAN Pharmaceuticals, Reliance, Rolls Royce, Temasek, The World Bank, and the Blackstone Group among others.
He has represented companies and financial institutions for numerous Infrastructure projects in India, Sri Lanka, China and Bangladesh; in the Energy, Telecommunications, Airports, Aviation, Inland-ports, Toll-roads & Bridges, Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and Oil Refinery sectors.
He has been involved in major transactions including the US$ 4 billion Sun Pharma Ranbaxy merger, and Mylan Inc’s acquisition of Agila Specialties Division from Strides Arcolab.
Rajiv is a regular speaker at numerous law college campuses across the country.
In addition to numerous publications in professional journals and magazines, Rajiv is also a regular commentator in the general news media on legal & economic issues; and his articles and opinions frequently appear in publications including the Economic Times, the Business Standard, the New
York Times and the Financial Times.
Rajiv has been appointed to the committees of:.
- High Level Advisory Group (HLAG): appointed by Commerce Ministry to formulate India’s trade policies.
- High Level Committee on Corporate Social Responsibility
– 2018: appointed as a member to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs’.
- Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI): high level committees for ‘Reviewing Insider Trading Regulations’.
- ‘Rationalization of Investment Routes and Monitoring of Foreign Portfolio Investments’.
- CII Task Force on Legal Services 2019-20: entrusted with the task to undertake policy advocacy on legal services / legal reforms in the country.
- Convener of the Joint Economic & Trade Committee (JETCO), Ministry of Commerce: between India and the UK, formed to advise the Government of India on the liberalisation of legal services under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).
- Advisory Board of the Competition Commission of India.
- Competition Advocacy Steering Committee.
- National Competition Policy: An expert panel to formulate the 11th Five Year Plan by Planning Commission of India.
- Round Table on Legal Education (a Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, a Government of India initiative).
- Board of Governors of the National Law School of India University, Bangalore.
- Advisory Board of the National Law University, Jodhpur.
- City of London Advisory Council for India.
- National Executive Committee of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- National Executive Committee of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
BOARD POSITIONS HELD
- Network18 Media & Investments Limited as an Independent Director.
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
- Symphony International Holdings Limited, a London Stock Exchange listed company
- The DLF Group.
- Former member of the Corporate Governance & Audit Committee of the Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation (India) (HSBC).
- Former member of the Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA), Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
He is actively engaged in providing pro bono legal services and has provided advice to, and assisted, various not-for-profit / charitable organisations on different aspects of the law. Some of his works include:
Drought Relief, Rain-Water Harvesting and Water Conservation in Maharashtra:
Acute water shortage in State of Maharashtra is a severe problem leading to farmer suicides. L&L provided legal assistance in establishing ‘Paani Foundation’, a charitable / non-profit company. Addressing needs of farmers it assists implementation of rain-water harvesting and creates awareness on water conservation. Further, the Firm also assisted the foundation to raise funds through its client network to support significant initiatives of Mr. Aamir
Khan, a leading Indian film actor.
Embassy of South Korea:
Rendering advice on diverse legal issues, including, inter alia, foreign contribution, and clearance for infrastructure projects amongst other things for the Model Village Project.
Formal Working Group of Experts for the completion &
advocacy of Ganga River Basin Management Plan Grameen
Foundation, USA (a non-profit organization dedicated towards alleviation of poverty through access to information & finance);
Existing legal regime for data protection in India.
“LIFE” Foundation (Leading India to a Fresh Environment):
Co-Founder & Chairman of LIFE, which was set up to follow-up on the implementation of progressive court orders on a wide range of issues and attempts to ensure bureaucratic accountability.
Lotus Flower Trust
(a charitable trust engaged in providing assistance to the
underprivileged for establishing shelters, skill centres &
schools in remote Indian villages):
On issues of receipt and utilization of foreign contribution and on establishing a presence in India.
Ministry of Finance:
Revised the draft Public Procurement Bill, 2012; and submitted extensive comments.
Ministry of Commerce:
A WTO dispute filed by Japan against Canada where India is a third party. The matter concerns certain renewable energy policies established by Canada which are seen as WTO-incompatible.
A WTO dispute which involved advising the Government of India on the Panel Report issued, concerning compatibility of USA’s labeling requirements with WTO Rules. India is interested in this dispute and is a third party to the case.
Agricultural policies and subsidies provided by the EU. This involves reviewing various subsidies established by the EU in the dairy and wine sector and determining if they are WTO-compatible.
SPIC MACAY (Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture amongst Youth):
Legal entity for undertaking certain activities for furthering its objectives of conservation and promotion of Indian culture.
Space-Research, Education and Policy-Making:
Society of Satellite Professionals International (SSPI) is a global non-profit organization that works towards development of the space industry through outreach, education, and policy dialogue. Expanding the access and outreach to technological innovations, L&L advised on Satcom Policy, 1997 & 2000, Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, 2010 and the Rules to establish SSPI-India Chapter. Further, L&L helped in registering SSPI-India, as a society under Indian law, which in turn would enable the expansion of science, research, innovation and development through collaboration among space professionals, policy dialogues, skill development and entrepreneurship.
PRACTICE AREAS & SECTORS
- Anti-Corruption & Compliance
- Banking & Finance
- Brand Management and Sports
- Capital Markets
- Competition and Anti-trust Law
- Corporate Governance
- Defense – Procurement & Production
- Dispute Resolution – Litigation & Arbitration
- General Corporate Commercial
- Management, Labour & Employment
- Health & Pharmaceuticals
- Insolvency & Restructuring
- Insurance & Re-Insurance
- Intellectual Property – Patent & Trademark
- International Trade (WTO) Laws and Policy & Advisory
- Investment Funds
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Oil & Gas
- Pro Bono Work
- Private Equity & Venture Capital Investments
- Project, Infrastructure & Energy
- Project Finance
- Public Procurement
- Real Estate
- Retail & Franchising
- Tax (Direct & Indirect)
- TMT (Technology, Media & Telecoms)
BARS & COURTS
- Supreme Court Bar Association
- High Court of Delhi
- Bar Council of Delhi
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- International Union des Avocats